In Celebration of National Coffee Day here are the best tips to remove coffee stains from your fabrics & textiles.
How to Remove Coffee Stains
1) Blot the coffee stain
- If the stain is fresh and still damp, blot it quickly with either a paper towel or some tissues.
- This will help remove excess liquids, along with some of the chemicals in coffee that give the stain its colour.
- This step also will make the next steps more likely to work well.
2) Rinse the stain with cold water
- If it’s an item of clothing, run it under the cold tap through the back of the stain for three to five minutes.
- Rub the stain gently every minute or so – this will help to loosen more stubborn marks.
- Repeat this action 2 to 3 times to remove fresher stains.
- If you have a fresh or smaller carpet stain, run some cold water over it and rub it gently to loosen the stain.
3) Add detergent to treat the coffee stain
- If the stain is still there, rub in a small amount of liquid laundry detergent while the surface is still moist.
- Once you’ve gently rubbed the detergent into the stain, leave it to set for a few minutes. This will be especially good for older stains.
- After five minutes, gently rub the stain between your fingers again to help loosen it.
- Rinse thoroughly with cold water.
4) Try using vinegar to remove the stain
- If your stain persists after treating it with detergent, then try using this mixture to treat the stain.
- Mix some powdered laundry detergent with equal parts of white vinegar and water. Mix it all into a paste.
- Test the mixture on a part of the garment that doesn’t normally show in order to make sure it won’t discolour the fabric. If it does, move straight to the next step.
- If there’s no danger of discolouration, rub the paste into the stain.
- Use a toothbrush, nailbrush, or other brush to gently scrub both sides of the stain.
- Rinse the fabric thoroughly.
5) Use a stain stick
- If you’ve tried everything above and your stain is still visible, apply a stain stick and leave to sit for a few minutes. These products are intended to help fight tough stains.
- Again, remember to test any new product on a small part of the garment first to make sure that it won’t discolor or harm the fabric.
- After 5 to 10 minutes, wash the garment normally with a commercial laundry detergent, like Persil small & mighty. Make sure to follow normal washing instructions.
- Before drying the garment in a tumble dryer, check to make sure that the stain has been removed – heat will set the stain.
Be Clean, Be Happy, Be Healthy